When Do I Need To Call An Electrician?
Electrical work in your home
As a homeowner, carrying out electrical work can be tempting especially smaller jobs. However, electrical works are not only more complicated than many other household jobs, but most works must be carried out by a fully qualified electrician by law.
At Daniel Gardner Electrical, we are often asked what kind of electrical repairs homeowners are allowed to do, and when you need to call in a fully qualified and experienced electrician. So we’ve put together a list for you, so you know what you can legally do yourself, and when to call us.
A homeowner can:
- Replace light bulbs or plug fuses
- Replace dimmer modules and light switches
- Replace a simple light fitting
- Replace an existing like for like socket
- Re-position sockets (as long as it doesn’t involve running a new circuit or wiring)
- Make repairs to loose wirings in switches, light fittings or plugs
- Replace a hard-wired smoke detector
- Connect or disconnect appliances
However, our combined 150 year’s experience tells us every job is different, what is a simple job for a qualified electrician can quickly turn into a nightmare for a homeowner leading to a potentially dangerous installation.
We have been called out numerous times to rectify electrical works that homeowners and unregistered electricians have attempted to carry out themselves. We’ve seen:
- Damaged light fittings
- Improperly fitted cables and switches
- And in some cases we have seen electrical accessories that have caught on fire
In the end this costs the homeowner a lot more money to rectify than it would have to hire Daniel Gardner Electrical in the first place.
Fully qualified NICEIC accredited electricians
At least one person in the UK dies each week from an electrical accident and 1,000 are injured every day, which is why it’s so important that any electrical work is carried out by a skilled electrician. It’s easy to make an electrical circuit work, it is far harder to make the circuit work safely. Leave it to a fully qualified NICEIC accredited electrician.
As an accredited NICEIC approved installer and Scottish Building Standards approved certifier, Daniel Gardner Electricals work has been recognised for its quality, meeting the high standards set out in the BS7671 Industry Regulations.
For information or advice call us on 01334 656 378.